3.07.2013

McIntosh takes Super Cup Title with the TEN SCTE 2.0

Team Losi Racing/Proline lock up Supercup title

Here is a great report from our team driver, Leon McIntosh. 

This last weekend saw the running of Round 3 of the Florida Supercup Series hosted by FZRC Raceway in Sarasota, Florida. As usual, it brought out the best racers from all corners of state who represented all the major brands.  The track itself is on the smaller side but the FZRC folks put in an amazing layout that had a great flow and provided great racing. 

When I rolled up to the track Saturday morning things were looking bleak with rain in the forecast but luckily the track owners have a background in landscaping so it doesn’t hold water at all. It looked like it wanted to storm but it just drizzled for a little bit. It rained just enough to make the track slick for the 1st round, so it was basically another practice run.  From Round 1 to Round 2 times would improve almost 2 seconds per lap.  For the mains when the sun was down, the moisture would come back up and make the track a little bit slicker but only by about a tenth or two from round 2’s times.

In 2wd Pro 2 Short course, my TLR 22SCT was pretty hooked up. Kyosho’s Ryan Eckert and myself battled back and forth in both rounds of qualifying with Ryan Ending up with TQ. In the main we ran nose to tale until mid way through the race when we caught some traffic. Ryan made it through quickly and I was caught in between a few lappers. I was able to close the gap a little bit towards the end but Ryan was on point so we finished that  in the end, 1-2.

4x4 Short Course was a different story; I managed to TQ both rounds of qualifying and take the main from wire to wire with my TLR SCTE. However, it wasn’t without challenge. Felix Law, running the MIP truck, did everything he could to change the result but in the end some but a blown servo with a minute to go ended his bid.  With the TQ+Win I locked up the points for this session of the Supercup taking the 4X4 Short Course Title.



(Leon McIntosh with his Team Losi Racing 22SCT and Losi Ten SCTE Roller)
 
Products Used (click links):
And then there is 2wd Mod. This class has been the bane of my existence for the last several months. Not because the car hasn’t been good, quite the contrary, my Novak powered TLR 22 has been freaking amazing for the most part but it seems that every race something stupid has kept me from finishing better. At every race, in Round 1 of qualifying I have been in the top 3, but in the penultimate round where the track is  faster something happens like sensor wire coming loose or a steering servo going out. When race against guys like Jason Rouna, Ryan Eckert, and others you can’t give them any sort of advantage because they’ll put you in a hole that you won’t be able to dig yourself out of in a 5 minute race. And again this was the case this last weekend. I put 3rd on the grid in round 1, round 2 I popped a ball cup and ended up 11th overall. So I had to bump through the B-main and start from 11th. In the main I was able to work my way through traffic and close a good gap running 4th but time ran out and that’s where I stayed.


All things considered my TLR cars were awesome the whole day and I couldn’t have asked for anything better from them. My new Novak Pulse and Impact (2wd) esc’s were dialed and M4 Holeshots  with Closed Cell Inserts all the way around on all of my vehicles ensure that I had the best package possible to be fast.  Now, thankfully, I am looking forward to a little gas racing in the near future and the final round of the Spring session Supercup at Coral Springs RC Raceway in Miami next month.

Thanks to my sponsors: TLR, Pro-Line, Novak, Horizon Hobby, Spektrum, Losi.

For more information about FZRC in Sarasota, Florida check out their site here: FZRC

Til’ next time,

Leon McIntosh